Do you love exploring the outdoors? Would you like to inspire curiosity, scientific literacy and environmental stewardship through hands-on learning? Dunes Learning Center employment offers opportunities for individuals to use their skills and enthusiasm to change lives
Outreach Education Coordinator
The Outreach Education Coordinator (OEC) is responsible for coordinating, implementing and evaluating outreach programs. The OEC may also participate in staff recruitment efforts, the development and implementation of seasonal staff trainings, and serve as a Teaching Naturalist in on-site and off-site programs as needed. Candidates must be knowledgeable of the flora, fauna, and cultural history of the Indiana Dunes. Required Qualifications:
- Great independent worker and team player.
- Comprehensive management skills.
- Familiarity with and passion for education, conservation, and the outdoors.
- Highly competent and personable motivator of volunteers and staff.
- Excellent verbal, written, and organizational skills.
- Excellent teacher/naturalist skills.
- College Degree in Natural Sciences, Biology, Education, Parks/Recreation, Environmental Science, K-12 teacher certification or credits toward teacher certification.
- 2 years of teaching experience in a formal or non-formal setting. Some classroom teaching experience preferred.
- Expertise in MS Office and Google tools.
- Maintain current CPR and First Aid certification.
- Possess valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation (vehicle).
Interpretive Naturalists are key members of the program staff at DLC. They instruct children and adults regarding the diversity of ecosystems, plants and animals, and cultural history of the INDU and southern Lake Michigan region while developing naturalist, outdoor education, and resource interpretation skills and techniques. Required Qualifications:
- Must have a BA/BS by June 5, 2017
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Physically able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and hike several miles over hilly dunes terrain while carrying a 25-lb backpack
- Great independent worker and team player
- Official government identification
Kitchen Worker (Part-time)
Under the general supervision of the Food and Facilities Director, the Kitchen Worker is responsible for the preparation of meals, routine kitchen duties, cleaning of kitchen and equipment. In addition, they are expected to be service orientated to insure safe, healthy and enjoyable meals.
Download the position announcement >